Thursday, April 9, 2009

My kitchen table & catchup


Jackson and Heather have been home for a few weeks. Both are doing fantastic. Heather is just not wanting to go back to work, and boy, I don't blame her. Will see them this Sunday for Easter dinner. Will have to take some new pictures. I will share a picture I stole from his uncle Scott, don't tell him.

My moms are both doing very well. Don's mom has a prosthetic leg, and can stand very well on it. That woman still amazes me, she will be 98, July 31. My mom is good. Going to cardiac therapy, and the heart is getting stronger. Thank God constantly for them both.

This is my kitchen/dining table. I have owned this table for 30+ years. I was wiping it off the other day, and thought I should take a picture of it. This table has served thousands of meals, has been the place for hours of homework, has been the surface for hundreds of board games, been the place of endless conversations, and also been the place of tons of craft projects. As you can see, there are marker, pen, water color, glue, glitter, and probably a few things I have no clue about, marks everywhere. Someone asked me a few years ago if I was going to sand it down and redo the surface when I was done with day care. My answer, NO!!!! I love looking at these marks, and feeling the bumps of dried glue. It means that little people sat and had a ton of fun. Every time I wipe it down, I smile, knowing that there were so many masterpieces created at this table.

There are also marks at the other end from the apple peeler/slicer. Many Fall days have been spent with the kids, grand as well as others, going to the orchards, and coming home and peeling and slicing juicy apples.

There have been many homemade pizza crusts rolled out on this table. Pumpkin guts cleaned out, and then pumpkins carved, right at this table. Oh, and birthday parties, yes, lots of cupcakes eaten here.

I will own this table, until I take my last breath. I am not a fancy dinner party person. Occasionally I do cover it with a table cloth. I love this table, and if I could preserve it the way it is, I would. I never want to lose these marks. It means that there has been love, laughter, memories and joy in my home. That is what every home should contain.

5 comments:

Judy said...

Love the picture of Jackson. I was wondering if they were home. Assumed as much..but wasn't for sure. Glad that the moms are doing great. I'm glad that Don's mom is getting along so well with her prosthesis and glad that your mom is getting stronger each day. Have a great Easter.

Tiffany Ervin said...

What a beautiful story about the table Mary!!! Always love your heartwarming stories, so glad to hear that both moms are doing well and you seem to be doing good?!

Jackson is adorable...lovey that picture sooo much! Sure miss you around HA girl...hope to see you back and playing again! Love ya!

janalee said...

:) I have a kitchen table like that- all sorts of scars and memories etched into the surface.

I'm glad Jackson is home now; I am sure Heather is relieved to have him home!

Great news about your moms! Your family has been in our prayers, and I am so glad that their health is improving.

:)Love you!

Joellyn said...

That is so touching, the story behind your table---I loved hearing about it. Thanks for sharing.

And the picture of Jackson is so very, very precious. What a great photo!

Gina said...

What beautiful, thoughtful journalling. It brought tears to my eyes....