The year I started Kindergarten, my Dad was a Senior in High School. That always makes me laugh. Three years later, Mom and Dad met, at my grandmother's cafe, Mom's Cafe. It was a truck stop, with a gas station attached. Mom worked at the cafe, Dad at the station. They finally started dating, which only lasted 3 weeks, and they got married. BTW, my mom had divorced my biological father earlier that year, THANK GOD.Us kids were all in love with Dad, and were really happy about the marriage. Because Dad was only 21, Mom 30, and us three kids, others were very skeptic of it all. Well, to this day, I have never met another 21 year old man, willing, or able to take on the task, and do the excellent job Dad did.
Yes, there were lots of bumps along the way, but that happens in everyone's family. All I know, is this man stood up, and took it all on. If there was child support, great, if not, we still were taken care of. The biggest thing for me, I always knew I was safe, which was something new for me. There was never any yelling, screaming, violence, threats, nothing. There were very lean times, but not because he didn't work 365 days a week.
Grandma, (Evelyn), Great Grandma,(Mommy or Elva), Grandpa, Homer)Along with a wonderful father figure, Kenny, Gerry and I received two of the best grandparents any child could ask for. I have always been amazed at how they must have felt, but they never showed Mom or us kids anything but love. We also got a fantastic Great Grandmother, who also welcomed us with open arms. There were also two wonderful aunts, Rita and Dixie. I don't know how we got so lucky, but I'm sure glad it all happened. Eventually we were blessed with two little sisters, that made our family totally complete.
Dad, Happy Birthday. I'm sure there were many times along the way that you second guessed your decision, esp. when there were three teens in the house. But you never failed us. You are the person that I judge all men through, and man did you set the bar high. I love you, and Happy Birthday! Oh, and hope for many more.

_0049.jpg)
4 comments:
Oh, I got tears in my eyes! You are so blessed to have this man for your Dad :). He sounds like an awesome guy.
What a great tribute to this great guy! Thanks for sharing this with us and tell him the gang says happy birthday as well.
Happy birthday Dad! It is great to have this men in our lives, it truly shapes who we are.
Such an awesome man, and an awesome way you tell the story *hugs* Happy birthday to Dad!
Post a Comment