Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Broken Heart


I have told people for many years that I knew I would be pretty prepared for the death of my mom. She has had several heart attacks, and emergency trips to the hospital. She is 82 years old, and just know that the time will come. I thank God every single day that I have both she and my dad in my life. I may be 61+, but just knowing I still have my parents is so comforting.

When I talk about my dad, it is not my biological father, it is the man that raised me. In 1957 my mom took my two brothers and I left LYLE, an extremely violent drunk. Had she not, it is most certain that there would have been a more violent end. A few months later she met a very handsome young man. This 21 year old man became my dad. He was 21, my mom was 30, I was 9, Ken was 6 and Gerry was 3. They dated for 3 weeks, and got married. He has been the greatest dad any girl could ask for. No, it wasn't always easy, but my mom, my brothers and I, NEVER were scared from then on. We knew this man would do everything in his power to keep us safe. I ended up with two sisters, and Mom and Dad celebrated their 52nd wedding anniversary last Dec. Dad has been an amazing caregiver for mom, and we always felt great that he was 9 years younger.

May 27, I got that phone call, my Daddy, my hero, the greatest man I have ever known, was gone. No pain has been greater, except Nov. 8, 1974, when I lost my very best friend, my beloved brother, Gerry. Never in our wildest dreams, did we think we would lose Dad before Mom. What a horrible void in our lives. We are all doing pretty well, Mom is being such a strong example for us, and I know she has some really rough times, but she is marching on.

I am just thanking God for every moment and memory that I have had with my dad, and all that he taught me. No man will ever measure up to Dad, but because of the example he set, I married a pretty close second. Thanks Dad for everything you ever did to show your love for all of us.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. I too can not imagine life without either of my folks. I know you have a great love for both your parents and I know you will be there for your mom. Take care and know that you have lots of prayers coming your way.

Rosalie said...

Mary,

I am so glad to hear that you are doing ok. It was very nice to read about your dad, who he was and how much he loved you. I hope writing this post was helped you as you grieve. Please call if you need to get lunch

Tiffany Ervin said...

So, so sorry to hear about your dad Mary!! What a loving tribute and story about both your mom and dad! So glad he was able to be there for you and your siblings in such a loving way! Take care my friend, my heart is with you always! BIG HUGS!!