Saturday, October 9, 2010

The cowboy room

I have been complaining for some time about feeling like our basement area looked and felt like some dungeon. So once I decided that I was going to paint and purge, I actually started with our former garage. When we purchased the house it was a garage, but a year later we had a garage built, so the former garage became my husband's weight room/junk area. At one point we did paint part of it, but nothing that would remotely be looked upon as decorating.



































I knew I wanted a turquoise room, and thought this would be the perfect space. I started out painting the pine paneled wall a beautiful shade of red, then slapped on a bit of the turquoise. It just didn't seem right. The grandkids didn't like the two colors together. So I put the turquoise in the laundry room. Back to pick out a new color, and came up with a carmel color. The ceiling I did go with a pale turquoise. Somehow, went with the cowboy theme. I know it is because of my maternal grandfather, and having lots of items I wanted display.




The oak buffet was my great grandparents. They were married in 1900, so assume it was acquired shortly after that. The gorgeous crocks were from my grandparents.















Between what I had, garage sales, junk stores and Hobby Lobby, this is the end result. We still need to do some work with the ceiling area, where the water pipes are, and we want to put a floor in. Oh we do want to get rid of the old upright piano.


I have had this printer's drawer for many years, just never did anything with it. Pretty proud of how it turned out. The blue padded rocker below was my grandpa's. His thumbnails wore impressions in both arms. Always think of him when I see it. The other chair was a Goodwill find, for $39.

















The pillow was a piece of linen like fabric, that I sewed up and painted with the &. Painted the stairs and put the treads on.



The little blue outfit was worn by my great grandfather, around the mid to late 1800's, in Sweden.






The bench to the right was a Hobby Lobby purchase a few years ago, for $20, on clearance. They now have it for $149. I sewed the cushion for $2, fabric also from H.L. on clearance.


When I put up the dartboard, the wall was instantly ruined from the darts. I covered it
with corkboard
sheeting, but it looked really bad, so covered with fabric, and stenciled on the wording.

The mice will probably leave after Halloween, lol.






Thanks for looking. A little more tweaking to the room, but is going to be our new entry way, and a fun little family area.

4 comments:

janalee said...

Wow- I like the red/carmel colors, and can imagine that the light turquoise ceiling makes it look even better!
Wanna come help me decorate my new house?
(i have a room just for guests!)

sweetpea324 said...

You have done such a great job! I love the little mice. I didn't catch them the first time I looked at the picture. Enjoy your new digs! BTW, love the & pillow too.

Love ya--Karla

Janet@Mamalaude said...

What a fun room! Your family must love it. I especially like how you put different papers in your printer's drawer. I just might have to borrow that idea. :) And thank you so much for your comment on my blog. You have no idea how much it meant to me.

Tiffany Ervin said...

Looks like your house purging is coming along really good Mary! It takes so much time and energy and motivation to clean, renovate and get things to look the way you want it to! I commend you! I really need to clean out certain spaces in our house too, maybe after the holidays!