I decided I needed to pour myself into some projects. I have wanted to purge my house, big time, for quite some time. Not that I have been a major hoarder, but I knew I never wanted my kids and grandkids to have to spend eons going thru my junk. I was going to start with our former garage. We closed it in the summer after we moved into our house, and has been used as a storage room, weight room, and over all junk room, and unclean room, since. Got one wall painted and showed the kids what other color I was going to put in there, and a couple of them very strongly said, "NO". So there I was with two gallons of gorgeous turquoise paint. Well, I sure didn't want to waste it, so looked around and decided to go to the laundry/dungeon.
First off, there was dust that I know has been there the entire 26 years we have been here, and JUNK, CRAP, STUFF, whatever you want to call it. So I dug in. I gutted the room, bleach washed all the walls and floors. I vacuumed all the duct work, and scrubbed and scrubbed. I removed a few shelving units since I really tossed so much unused garbage, and what could be sold, put in garages sale tubs. I then got some concrete paint to do the outside walls. I used a buttery yellow. Looked like yellow cake batter. I didn't take any before pictures, but sure have taken some after.
North wall, shelves, and sorting baskets.
Quilt, squares came from Don's family, and
my grandmother Thomas put them together.
East wall, washer and dryer. We were going to
revent the dryer, so we could have a window,
but because of structure, not able to do.
West wall, cabinet which is crackled with age, was
in the house when we moved in.
This is the toilet area, duh. It just seems so much fresher and cleaner, with the paint.
After I thought I was done, I went to a local "Junk" store, and I found this perfect ironing board, already had the turquoise on it. With my Craft Robo, I cut out the letters. I repainted the wall in the red, so the ironing board would pop. I love it so much. BTW, the little door on the left is the toilet area, and the one
on the right is the closet.
This is only the beginning of some huge projects I have taken on during the summer. I shed lots of tears, but I think I got a lot accomplished while working thru some of the grief. Will try and post some more, a lot sooner.
We are all doing very well, considering. My mom amazes me with her spunk, and willingness to move on. She says that Sundays are the very worst days, but she is always talking bout the the future, which we all feel is great.

_0049.jpg)
7 comments:
Mary, I know you're hurting. I know the pain oh so well. It sucks. Good thing we have each other :) You have made amazing strides in your home. I am so jealous! You picked a very good way to work through the grief. The ironing board looks fantastic especially with the red wall! Well done! Love ya! Karla
(((hugs)))
Glad to see your projects- you've been productive and busy. I'm selfishly glad that you're posting again :) I miss hearing from you!
I don't think you ever stop missing people that you love, but at some point you do get used to them being gone.
Love and miss you,
Janalee
My we are in the same boat, in many ways, aren't we? Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a heartfelt comment on my blog about Aaron. You have no idea how much it blesses me. So nice to meet you!
Oh Mary! Still thinking of you and I know how much you miss your dad! Sending you lots of hugs to you and your mom! I've been enjoying seeing the progress on your home and you 'de-junking'. It is great therapy, keeps us busy and we know that we can always rest for a moment with what we are doing to remember and reflect on the important people who have left us now.
Mary, it was good to see you posting again. I don't know where you find the energy to do the projects that you come up with! I guess when you've got other things on your mind that you're dealing with..you probably get things done and look back and wonder yourself how you did it. I can't imagine losing a parent. My dad's Alzheimers is getting worse, but you just take one day at a time. The 'firsts' have got to be the hardest. Your project looks awesome. Again, good to see you posting again. Hope everyone is hanging in there. You're lucky to have such a great husband to walk through this journey with you.
Mary,
Thanks for stopping by the blog and leaving your sweet comment. I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. You are in my prayers.
The ironing board is wonderful...keep up the good work and hope to see you by the shop again soon!
Brenda
Good for you! That's a much bigger task than I would tackle. I am so glad that it was therapeutic for you.
Post a Comment