Friday, June 24, 2011

Way Behind, I know............




Last year as I was doing all the work in my basement, I also did our bedroom. When we bought the house, it only had two bedrooms upstairs, and a huge family room, with a fireplace downstairs. We put the girls in the bedrooms upstairs and we took the downstairs room for our bedroom. We had painted it before, but never put a whole lot of work into it.
When Katisha and Tyree were little we did put up the fence, and the three of us stenciled the flowers, insects and tree on the wall. Everyone wanted me to leave it all there, but I wanted to change the whole theme of the room. This is what I came up with.For the headboard, I used two old gates that were in our back yard when we moved in. I love the color, it is so soothing. The red baby buggy is a gift from Don, many years ago. I had spotted it in the Salvation Army window, and told him that I wanted it so bad. He surprised me with it for Christmas that year. The window with the 6 pictures is from our house, when we closed in the bathroom. The frame with 5 slots was my grandmother's. Just don't know if I want to put anything in it.

The Spinning wheel was brought over from Sweden by my great grandfather in the late 1800's. Most of the stuff was either hand me downs from family, or garage sale finds. This fireplace was the reason I loved this house and had to have it. The red jacket on the left was Don's when he was a little boy, back in the 40's. Wish I could find a picture of him wearing it. The yellow quilt was made for him by his Grandmother Perry, in 1957. It is dated on the back. The blue one was made for me by my grandmother Thomas, in the late 70's. The dresser was made by Don's great grandfather in 1876, and signed. The drop leaf table was my grandparents, the Thomas'. Figure they got it in the 1930s, when they got married. I love having these pieces that give us fond memories, of those that loved us.

We are all doing pretty well. Kids are growing like crazy, Teddy is now a teenager, and Grace will be 12 in July. Will try and post again, soon.

1 comment:

janalee said...

Beautiful and meaningful redesign of your room!
Glad to hear things are going well. Miss you!
janalee